The College Audition's Coronavirus News + Updates
June 1, 2020
A couple of weeks ago I made two promises to you. The first promise I made to you was that the health and safety of our students, parents, faculty, and staff was paramount. It has become clear with the current government restrictions and guidance from the CDC, that we are unable to provide you with the program we set out to offer you in the beginning if we hold the Conservatory in person.
The second promise I made was that I would make sure that I would make sure that I would do everything in my power to make sure that every member of The College Audition family was prepared for the future. In an effort to keep that promise to you, we will be moving the Conservatory online this year.
The move to an Online program this year actually provides us with some exciting benefits we didn’t have before. We will be adding additional schools to the lineup of workshops, and we are currently in negotiations with a major broadway name to present a master class as well. We will also be adding a special workshop that will be discussing the changes to the college audition process in the time of COVID-19, and giving our students the tools they need as we are approaching the very real possibility of an audition process that is entirely online this year. In short, we are expanding the workshops and offerings for the online Conservatory, while cutting the price in half for you.
In the coming week, we will be announcing all of these great additions to the Conservatory in more detail. (Also, stay tuned for some BIG announcements for our “Summer of Broadway Stars” Master Class series with some of Broadway’s biggest names! While these workshops are not including in the Conservatory, we will be extending a special discounted rate to Conservatory students to attend these workshops!)
We will be reaching out to each accepted student individually in the coming days to discuss any necessary refunds, or to finalize their registrations. Additionally, we are still extending our application deadline through June 15 for anyone who would still like to join the program.
Thank you all so much for being a part of our family. I’m really looking forward to all of the exciting opportunities we have added for you this year!
May 15, 2020
In an effort to remain as transparent as possible, we are including the text of an email sent to all participants below.
I wanted to reach out to you today to give you continued updates on our plans to move forward with the College Audition Conservatory in Orlando, and share information with you as it comes available to us.
First, I’d like to remind you that while we are still planning and moving forward with the idea that we are going to be holding the program in-person, we are prepared to take the program online should anything change. It is for this reason that we ask that you do not make any non-refundable travel arrangements before June 11, which will be 30 days before the program.
Here is the new information we have as of today, both positive and negative, that we are working with:
- The State of Florida continues to see fewer new cases of COVID-19 each day, even though we have begun to re-open.
- Universal Studios reopened CityWalk yesterday, and Walt Disney World has announced plans to reopen Disney Springs beginning May 20.
- The Governor said today that he will be making an announcement about protocols to open and operate Summer Programs in FL soon, and thinks it is a good idea.
- The FL Governor’s executive orders 20-82 and 20-86 currently require any person traveling to FL from NY, NJ, CT, and LA to self-isolate for 14 days, or their entire stay in FL, whichever is shorter. We are told that mandatory self-quarantine will be lifted by July, but we are working to get more clear guidance and directives on what this may look like by then.
- Other states currently have travel quarantine requirements, which would make self-quarantine mandatory upon returning to their state after traveling to our program. These states are: Alaska, Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii, Iowa, Idaho, Kansas, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Mexico, North Dakota, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, Wisconsin, and Wyoming. Again, we anticipate that these bans will be lifted by July, but we have no way of knowing, and will have to make decisions based on the information we have available to us.
- The National Association for Teachers of Singing (NATS) has released a study that has concluded that singing and loud talking in groups carries a greater risk of spreading the COVID-19 virus, as micron particles can travel up to 16 feet from the mouth while singing. We are exploring options to remedy this, including the use of plexiglass “drum cages” which the students can sing behind,and even greater distancing between the singers, and the other workshop attendees.
I also wanted to address what moving the program online would look like. We have been working behind the scenes to plan an online program. It would look very much like the program we have now, and would follow the same schedule, allowing breaks for meals, etc.
The cost for student participation would go down to $1750, and the cost for parent participation would go to $500. Students would still have the same masterclass, workshop, and mock audition opportunities that were laid out in the original schedule with the original list of faculty.
If we were to move the program online, and you had already paid over the cost of the online program, you would be refunded down to the amount of the online program.
May 11, 2020
- Effective immediately, we are extending the application deadline to June 15, with final payments not due until June 30, to accommodate students who have had their summer programs canceled or changed due to COVID-19.
- We are also announcing the addition of a medical doctor to our staff to monitor temperatures and symptoms of our attendees, as well as the policies and procedures we have in place to keep everyone safe during the entire eight day program.